The first independent undergraduate labor union in the country, UGSDW is a democratic organization that fights for fair wages and working conditions for Grinnell College workers.
- Workers deserve a voice. Without student workers, there would be no food, no library, no mentor sessions, no mail delivery. We do vital work for the college. Some students work 20 hours a week. We should have a say in how we work.
- We’re stronger together. Change only happens when we come together and take a stand. It’s easy to ignore one worker. It’s not so easy to ignore all of us.
- Democracy! A union can only work if it is truly run by its members. That means transparency. That means frequent elections. That means a bottom-up approach where members, not officers, pick priorities and make decisions.
The Union of Grinnell Student Dining Workers was started in the spring of 2016 to represent student workers in the dining hall. After the union filed a petition with the National Labor Relations Board in April, an election was held to determine whether workers wanted the union to represent them. Employees overwhelmingly chose to be represented by the union, voting in favor by a 91% margin.
Since then, we’ve expanded to include all Dining Services workers. We’ve fought for, and won:
- An initial 9% wage increase to $9.25 an hour
- Further increases to $9.76 an hour
- Tiered bonuses for students who work at least 110 hours a semester
- A grievance procedure
- Paid rest breaks
- Equal pay for local high school students
UGSDW is led by the Executive Board, which is elected yearly by the membership. The Board is comprised of our President, Secretary-Treasurer, a number of at-large members, and several appointed advisors, who do not have voting power.
Sam Xu President
Oona Miller Secretary-Treasurer
Annie Kratz Member At Large
Luca Nelson Member At Large
Paige Oamek Member At Large
Andy Pavey Member At Large
Ryland Rich Member At Large
Nate Williams Member At Large
Alec Doss Advisor
Cory McCartan Advisor
Financial and Government Reports
End-of-Year Financial Reports