First Contract Ratified!
Union members today approved their first contract with Grinnell College, and the first in the nation between a private college or university and an undergraduate labor union. The contract was ratified by a vote of 33 to 1 after members reviewed the agreement’s terms and had a chance to ask questions of the contract bargaining team.
Highlights of the contract include
- Base wage of $9.25 for all employees, $10.00 for student leaders
- Tiered experience bonuses that raise your base wage in 25-cent increments over three semesters if you commit to working 110 hours.
- A grievance procedure
- Better food safety training
- Protection against being fired without just cause
- Guaranteed rest and meal breaks
The contract covers all Grinnell College students who work in the Marketplace, and will hopefully soon cover all high school students that work similar shifts. New wages will take effect on October 1.